Preparation & cooking time: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 bowlful
This type of recipe has become my go-to breakfast recently! Since I have started to eat these in the morning instead of cereals etc. I have felt so much more energised and ready for the day ahead. You can pack so many good ingredients into these that will give you energy for a really good amount of time. It is a really good opportunity to use superfoods *(flaxseeds, chia seeds, cacao etc.)* and is such a great way to incorporate them into your diet.
- 3 frozen bananas
- 1 heaped teaspoon raw cacao powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ground almonds
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, linseed etc.)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- A small handful of raspberries
- A few gratings of orange zest
1. Place the bananas, cacao powder, ground flaxseed, ground almond and vanilla extract into a blender and blend until you have a lovely smooth texture. You may need to give the blender a jiggle to get everything started. This should take a few minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender if needs be as well.
2. Place the smoothie into a bowl and then decorate the top with the raspberries, mixed seeds, chia seeds, and orange zest. You can be as creative as you like at this point. I like the look of making lines with the chia seeds and mixed seeds but you can make circles etc.
I hope you like this 🙂
* Flaxseeds are one of the richest, natural sources of the omega-3 fatty acid Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) which is great for brain power! This essential fatty acid is not naturally produced in the body so must be sourced from food. Flaxseed is also a great source of calcium which is needed for the maintenance of normal bones and teeth. It also contains Iron which is important in the formation of red blood cells and the transportation of oxygen in the body.
* Chia seeds are another great source of omega-3 fats which contribute to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels.
* Cacao rich in calcium, iron, vitamin C and magnesium to help normal energy-yielding metabolism.