Preparation & cooking time: 30 mins
Makes: As much as you want
This is awesome! Plain and simple! Well, it is simple but definitely not plain. This recipe makes you feel a bit naughty but the crunchy veggies make it an excellent alternative for chips! 🙂 It is the perfect movie snack, the perfect side dish……. it’s just perfect to be honest! The dipping sauce really makes this dish, it is tangy, sweet, spicy… mmm…. I also used it on a noodle salad and it worked amazingly! Give it a try and be creative with its use 🙂
For the Batter:
- 110g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200ml ice cold sparkling water
- A few ice cubes
For the asian dipping sauce:
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 80ml soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- An assortment of your favourite firm veggies (my favourites are broccoli and cauliflower)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Sift the plain flour, cornflour and salt into a large bowl. Whisk in the sparkling water and add in the ice cubes. Don’t over beat the mixture though as you want to keep as much air in the batter as possible to make it amazingly crispy!
2. Pour plenty of oil into a deep pot and put over a high heat. You are going to be deep frying the vegetables so be careful and make sure you have enough oil to cover the vegetables.
3. Prepare your vegetables into nice big chunks and put them into the batter and make sure that they are all nice and coated.
4. Once the oil is nice and hot, gently place the vegetables one at a time into the pot. Don’t over fill the pot as they will all stick together – cook them in batches. You want to cook them until they are golden and crisp.
5. For the asian dipping sauce, simply throw the ingredients into a bowl and mix it together until the sugar has dissolved.
That’s it! The vegetables are best eaten immediately, and trust me they are so scrumptious that they won’t last long around friends and family anyway!
Tweet me or post a picture on Instagram if you try it 🙂
In other news, what do you think of the new look?