Preparation & cooking time: 20 Minutes
Makes: 2 large portions/4 medium portions
Beans on toast was always one of my favourite go-to meals when I was growing up. It was so quick to make and there was something so great about a tin of Heinz baked beans!! Now that I am older and have realised that the baked beans from the tin are not the healthiest option for you, I have decided to make my very own healthy baked beans; trust me, they will blow you away and you will never want to have the beans from a tin ever again! They are really easy to put together and the flavour that you get is really amazing. I have used healthy ingredients to make this dish so that you can enjoy them and be guilt free. I hope you like it 🙂
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons of agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
- 2 tins of beans (cannellini beans, kidney beans, borlotti beans etc.), drained and rinsed
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Black pepper
- Thick slices of brown or granary bread
- 1 avocado
- Mixed seeds
1. Place a large pan over a medium heat and add in the coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes to soften them up. After 5 minutes, add the tomato puree, agave syrup, soy sauce and mixed herbs to the pan and mix together and cook for a further 5 minutes.
2. Add the beans and the tomatoes to the pan. Bring the beans to the boil and leave to simmer for 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
3. Whilst the beans are simmering, toast the bread. There is a few ways of serving this meal; you can either put the beans in a bowl and have the toast on the side with cubes of avocado on the top of the beans; you can put mashed avocados onto the toast and then top it with beans; and my personal favourite is to have a mountain of beans on the toast topped with the avocados and seeds!
4. After the beans have finished cooking, season generously with black pepper and then serve the dish in the way that you prefer from point 3.